Brr…here comes winter! Which means cozy and delicious foods, like chili. I find that sometimes a classic chili dish can be a little heavy and can leave us feeling a little weighed down, so I wanted to make a dish that could be a little lighter and easier to eat for those of us who feel a little sluggish after a bowl ‘a chili. Hence, the (lighter) Turkey and Kale Chili!
In my chili recipes I love to include LOADS of vegetables to help boost nutrient content and to help promote satiety as well. I find that veggies like kale, broccoli and squash along with the classic chickpeas, onions, carrots and tomatoes make for a more varied and exciting chili bowl, and by adding some delicious herbs becomes a super satisfying and tasty meal.
Try making this delicious chili and feel free to add any of your favorite herbs/spices/or even meat varieties and veggies. Enjoy!
Turkey and Kale Chili
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes: 4-5 servings
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1, 16 oz organic tomato sauce
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash salt and pepper
- 5-6 leaves kale, removed from stem
1. Wash and prepare the vegetables and ingredients and set aside.
2. Heat avocado oil in a medium/large stock pot.
3. Add onion and garlic to the stock pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. Once the onion and garlic are slightly browned, add the turkey meat and sauté until cooked through.
5. Once the turkey is cooked add the tomato sauce along with carrots, sweet potato, bell pepper and herbs and spices and reduce heat to medium until the sauce boils then simmer.
6. Simmer the chili for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft then add the kale and cover the pot once again.
7. After about 3-4 minutes the kale should be wilted.
8. Remove the chili from heat and serve into your favorite bowls and enjoy!