I love gluten free pizza crust- especially when it’s low carb and rich in nutrients like this one. This flax crust gluten free pizza is delicious and filling as the flax is loaded with both fiber and healthy fat. You can add any ingredients you like as toppings to help flavor this delicious dish.
The best part? You’ll likely make extra here, so you’ll have extra servings for some either the next day or the next few days.
Flax Crust Pizza
- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Total time: 45-60 minutes
- Makes: 2, 8-10” pies
- 1 ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup water
Toppings: (These are ones that I used)
- ½ cup organic tomato sauce spread thinly on each pizza for moisture
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 shitake mushrooms, browned
- 2 handfuls spinach
- (optional) ½ cup cheese (mozzarella, goats cheese or your favorites)- I used nutritional yeast here
Other topping ideas:
- 1 sweet potato, steamed and mashed
- ½ cup pesto
Vegetable/fruit toppings: (servings are enough to cover both pizzas)
- 1 cup diced mango
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 onion, browned
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper (use a small amount of olive oil).
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (flax, baking powder, cheese or nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, salt and pepper) and leave a well in the middle of the mixture for the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork.
- Spread the dough onto the lined and greased baking sheets and put the pizza crusts into the oven.
- Allow the crusts to cook in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until firm and slightly browned.
- While the crusts are cooking prepare the toppings- in this case I used mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, spinach and a small amount of tomato sauce; once the crust was cooked I also added extra nutritional yeast.
- Remove the crusts from the oven and add toppings of your choice then place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes (wait until the last 1-2 minutes to add any greens).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then serve and enjoy!