There’s nothing better than fall in your breakfast bowl!
Pumpkin is a type of squash, and because it’s the fall, it and all the other squash (winter, butternut, etc) are in season.
After my morning spin class today I decided to get a little fall-festive, so I decided to add some unsweetened canned pumpkin (pumpkin is rich in anti-cancer beta carotene) to my oatmeal along with some pumpkin pie spice. This oatmeal is such a treat, delicious and so fall-like. This oatmeal is also a great way to refuel carbohydrate stores after a tough workout.
I often get asked the question of whether steel cut is really better than rolled, and frankly I usually recommend whatever is of preference. I prefer rolled oats, so that’s what I use- but if you prefer steel cut they’re both great!
Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 5 minutes
- Makes: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (follow instructions on the side of package)
- 2-3 Tbsp unsweetened canned or fresh roasted pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 banana
- Dash of pumpkin spice
- 1 Tbsp nuts (almonds, walnuts- whatever you prefer!)
- 1 tsp honey
- Prepare oatmeal as recommended on package, and while preparing add pumpkin and chia seeds.
- Once oatmeal is cooked, remove from heat and add toppings- banana, pumpkin spice, nuts and honey.
- Serve and enjoy!
For other breakfast recipes click here!