We love natural skincare!
Especially when we can make easy DIY skincare products at home in our own kitchen, with just a few ingredients. Maybe you hadn’t thought about it, but you can use many of the ingredients that you use on an everyday basis to help keep your skin clean, happy and moisturized. In fact, some of the food items in your pantry actually do a better job (with far fewer chemicals) than many of the products in your makeup cabinet.
Here’s 3 simple DIY skin scrubs that you can make in just a few minutes each to use on your face (or anywhere else). All of these face scrubs have benefits for different things depending on the ingredients- some can help with blemishes, moisture and more.
Enjoy these easy-to-make skin scrubs!
Note about quantity: All of the recipes make 1 serving of face or skin scrub
Simple lavender scrub
This simple sugar scrub is great for basic cleaning. Use sugar with small granules to avoid this being too harsh on the skin. Lavender smells nice and is soothing on the skin. Note: If you have sensitive skin you should only use 1 drop of the essential oil as more may irritate the skin.
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 – 2 drops of water
- 1 – 2 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using the tips of your fingers, gently rub scrub into clean face. Take care to avoid the eyes.
- Remove by rinsing with cool water, and pat dry with a clean towel.
2-ingredient moisturizing scrub
This recipe is simple to the first one, but doesn’t contain any essential oil. This scrub has a base of coconut oil, so it’s slightly more moisturizing. As with the last recipe, you’ll want to use a sugar with a small granule to avoid being too harsh on the skin. Note: This is an easy recipe to whip up when you don’t have a lot of time. You can increase the ratios to make more of the mix, and store for up to 3 months. If you live in a hotter climate, you may want to store this mixture in the fridge, as coconut oil has a relatively low melting point
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Combine coconut oil and sugar in a small bowl, and stir to combine.
- Rub sugar face scrub into clean facial or neck skin, using gentle circular motions, for 2-40 seconds.
- Rinse dry with warm water.
Easy lemon scrub
Made from fresh lemon juice, sugar, olive oil, and honey. This provides a simple exfoliating face scrubs recipe while moisturizing. The lemon juice may help brighten the skin. Note: Olive oil can be acidic if you have dry skin- you might want to use almond or jojoba oil as a base instead.
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- Combine the lemon juice, sugar, olive oil and honey in a small dish.
- Rub sugar face scrub into clean facial or neck skin, using gentle circular motions, for 30-60 seconds.
- Rinse dry with warm water.
For more natural DIY skincare click here.
About the author!
Pauline Fitzgerald is a Contributing Writer and Intern here at ISN and we’re so excited to have her working with us! Pauline is a Journalism Major at the University of Alabama and has a great passion for nutrition and wellness. Growing up in an Italian household, Pauline was exposed all types of food, and a healthy balanced lifestyle. Pauline loves to cook, try new recipes and learn about the benefits that each fruit and vegetable holds for the body; she also loves to try new exercise routines, and loves to share her passion!