Healthy muffins are a great breakfast or snack item, and especially when they’re (almost) guilt free! These sweet potato and beet healthy muffins are tasty, light, and packed with nutrients. Both the beets and sweet potato contain antioxidants and nutrients that can also help to keep you healthy in the winter months, and also contain healthy starches that can keep your muscles charged for exercise and keep your brain and body energized without weighing you down.
Try these muffins as they are or to mix them up add different types of vegetables “riced” instead of the sweet potato and/or beet.
Enjoy these tasty muffins as part of your weekend or week day routine!
Sweet Potato and Beet Healthy Muffins
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 40-45 minutes
Makes: 12 mini muffins or 6 regular sized muffins
- 1 tsp coconut oil (to grease pan)
- 1 sweet potato spiralized (using finest blade, then “riced” in food processor (basically it’s the consistency of rice)–> total 1 cup riced)
- 1 beet, spiralized and riced like the sweet potato (as above)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- Dash cinnamon and salt
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- (optional) 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease the muffin pan with coconut oil- using a paper towel.
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and mix well using a spoon or spatula.
- Next fold in the chocolate chips (if you choose to use them).
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove the muffins from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note that these muffins are a variation of the Sweet Potato and Chocolate Chip muffins found here.