Eggs are perhaps the perfect food
That’s because they’re loaded with nutrients, easy to make, inexpensive and provide a great source of protein. I love to recommend eggs and egg dishes to clients because they’re easy to make and source and when you make dishes like this one you can keep in the fridge for a few days as well. Try this spinach and sweet potato frittata as a breakfast, lunch or dinner meal.
It’s delicious, enjoy!
Spinach and Sweet Potato Frittata
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 45-60 minutes
Makes: 6 portions
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into rounds (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach (about 2 cups)
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water or almond milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and prepare produce.
- Use 1 teaspoon to grease a medium to large skillet or frying pan (oven-safe), then line the pan with the sliced sweet potatoes – place in the warmed oven for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potato pan is cooking, heat a separate pan over medium heat, and add the remaining olive oil followed by the onions.
- Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until lightly browned then add spinach to the pan and sauté until wilted (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 4 eggs and 2 egg whites, liquid (water or almond milk) plus salt and pepper- whisk together until well mixed.
- Once 20 minutes is up, remove the sweet potato pan from the oven and layer the sautéed onions and spinach on top of the sweet potatoes, and finally pour over the egg mixture into the pan.
- Place the pan back in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut and serve!
For more recipe ideas see here.