One of the things I sometimes miss being gluten and dairy free (due to allergies), is a tasty yogurt parfait. I made this quick and tasty recipe as a dessert but it can be made as a breakfast or snack.
The parfait is made using walnuts- that are rich in alpha linolenic acid (ALA) that can be converted to omega 3 fatty acids in the body (6-8% conversion to omega 3’s), plain and unflavored coconut yogurt that are rich in probiotics (good for your digestive and immune systems) and berries that are loaded with antioxidants.
Dairy Free Coconut Yogurt Parfait
- Total time: 5 minutes
- Makes: 2 servings
- 8 oz plain, coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or other nuts)- can also use walnut meal
- 1/2 cup berries (blueberries, blackberries, or 4-6 large strawberries sliced)
- Using a blender or food processor, process the nuts into a meal (20-30 seconds).
- Line the bottom of the cup or dish with 1/2 the container of yogurt (you can also start with nut meal on the bottom)- equals about 4 oz.
- Add 1/2 of the nut meal on top of the yogurt (or if you started nuts down first, now add 1/2 yogurt- equals about 4 oz).
- Add ~1/4 cup berries to each dish on top of the yogurt/ nuts for garnish and flavor; optional- add extra toppings- cinnamon, goji berries, cacao nibs.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate then serve.