Snacking can sometimes get a bad wrap, but truthfully with all of the holiday traveling coming up, it can be your best make-it or break-it decision when it comes to sticking to your healthy eating plan. Having healthy snacks on the go is so key to keeping you out of trouble when you get stuck in a pinch (or in a traffic jam!).
Here are my favorite easy-to-go snack choices that you can take with you or purchase on the go during the upcoming holidays:
- Piece of fruit: Apple, orange, banana- easy to eat and easy to find.
- Nuts: I love nuts- walnuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts (extra-good for your thyroid!). Nuts are a source of both fiber and protein, so they can help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Don’t forget to pack them in your bag!
- Healthy bar: There aren’t so many of these out there, but here’s a few of my favorites:
- Yogurt: Both dairy and non-dairy versions will do the trick- and you can usually find them on the go, so they make for a great option. Add your nuts or a piece of fruit to make it a more substantial snack- and always try to stick to the plain or unflavored version!
- Almond/peanut butter packets: Justin’s makes awesome almond and peanut butter packets that are great to add to a piece of fruit, in your yogurt or to simply have on it’s own. Peanut and almond butter are loaded with minerals but also a source of fiber and protein (like the nuts) to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Here’s a few other snack ideas for you:
Happy holidays and enjoy!