May is Mental Health Awareness Month,
so this month we’ll be talking everything you need to know for natural mood boosting, and to kick it off- I’m making this double chocolate smoothie (YUM). Chocolate gets a bad wrap, but did you know that cocoa is actually a natural mood booster. Especially in the raw form, cocoa can help with producing endorphins and can also be used as food for our gut bacteria (gut bacteria health is KEY for our overall health!). So next time you pass on dark chocolate, think again- it’s good for so much of you- including your heart, brain, blood vessels, anti-inflammation, and more.
Try this smoothie as part of your breakfast, a snack or wherever else you want to put it!
Double Chocolate Smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes: 2 servings (10-12 oz each)
- 6-8 oz unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 1/4 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 handfuls greens- spinach, collards, kale- you pick!
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 serving plant based protein powder
- (optional) reishii mushroom powder and/or maca powder
- for garnish: cocoa nibs
- Wash and prepare ingredients.
- Add ingredients to your blender-blend on high for 45-60 seconds.
- Serve, garnish with cocoa nibs, and enjoy!