Easy, delicious, fresh. That’s what this salad is.
I find myself using kale most of the time as the base of my salads. Mostly because the pieces are large, and the volume adds up quickly without too much prep. I also find it easy to rinse and dry… so out of convenience I use kale, but also because I love it.
I think lunchtime needs to be FILLING, otherwise the afternoon is a beast to get through. Most often I find that clients make the mistake of not eating enough for lunch, and are therefore hungry and more likely to dive into foods that they’d rather not (chips, cookies, etc).
My goal is always to keep it clean and keep it easy. I like to keep simple options around, so that when I’m super busy, I can always come up with something to make. So when I made this salad, I incorporated easy and ready-to-use ingredients. Like pre-roasted chicken, sliced carrots, and an already-sliced red onion (hello meal prep!). What’s cool about salads in general is that you can use any ingredient you like, and make it your own.
Here’s the recipe for what’s often my go-to salad, and I hope you love it and make it your own just like I did!
Chicken and Kale Summer Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Makes: 1 serving
- 1 cup kale, washed, dried and ripped up into small pieces
- 1 piece of chicken breast, roasted and sliced
- 3 tbsp sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- Optional adds: Avocado, cabbage, shredded brussels sprouts, beet noodles
- I used 2 Tbsp Cindy’s Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette
- You can also use an easy recipe- like olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or carrot ginger vinaigrette
- Wash and combine all ingredients in a salad bowl for serving.
- Add the chicken on top of the salad.
- Dress the salad.
- Serve the salad, and enjoy!