Rice crispy treats were a major favorite of mine as a child, but I haven’t been able to eat them due to my milk and gluten allergies… until now!
Tonight I made these rice crispy treats using One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Cereal instead of classic rice crispy treats, and used Earth Balance, Soy Free along with gluten and dairy free, Dandies Vegan Marshmallows too. Although I was a little skeptical while making these treats because I used so many subs from the traditional recipe, they turned out absolutely delicious. Although they’re not a treat I’d recommend for all the time, on occasion they’re a great and certainly much cleaner version of the classic rice crispy treat favorite.
Try this version instead of the classic one made with butter and marshmallows, just to make it a touch healthier (but still oh-so-delicious!!).
Gluten Free Rice Crispy Treats
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 12-16 treats
1 bag Dandies All Natural Marshmallows
2 cups One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Cereal
2 Tbsp Earth Balance Soy Free vegan butter spread
- In a sauce pan over medium heat melt the butter spread with the marshmallows until well melted (if the marshmallows don’t fully melt we’ll take care of this in a later step!)
- Once the butter spread and marshmallows are melted together, add rice crispies and turn off heat and mix together- marshmallow and butter mixture and the cereal.
- Pour into a square, pyrex 8 x 8″ glass dish then flatted and spread evenly throughout the pan using a wooden spoon.
- If well melted and mixed skip this step, Put glass dish into microwave and heat for 30 seconds, then stir mixture and re-flatten and repeat once more, or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixed throughout.
- Once melted and mixed, allow to cool on the counter top (or for faster cooling place into the freezer).
- Once cooled, cut the treats into 16-20 pieces then serve and enjoy!
For more gluten free dessert treat ideas see here.