July 4th is right around the corner, so you’re likely getting ready to set your barbecue table with lots of healthy and not-so-healthy goodies. This July 4th I have a new and healthier snack for you thats both sweet and savory that your kids are sure to love – it’s this red, white and blue hummus platter with watermelon instead of chips to use for your hummus dip!
Watermelon is sweet, delicious, seasonal and also loaded with muscle-healthy magnesium, anti-cancer lycopene and is also super hydrating. Hummus is also a great addition to your party table because it’s loaded with fiber and is more satisfying and heart-healthy than some other dips (ahem, cheese dip!).
Use colorful napkins to make this dish even more fun, and try my hummus recipe below if you want to really work from scratch!
Red, White and Blue Hummus Platter
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 watermelon, rind removed and sliced
- 1 cup hummus (store bought, OR see below)
For the hummus:
- 1-15 ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp tahini (well-stirred)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the hummus:
- Wash and prepare ingredients.
- In a food processor or blender combine tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, then scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for another 30 seconds to make sure everything is included.
- Next add the olive oil, garlic and salt to the processor and process for another 30 seconds, then scrape the sides and repeat.
- Next add half of the chickpeas to the blender or processor and process for 1 minute, then scrape the sides or bottom of the container and then add the second half of the chickpeas and blend or process for another 1-2 minutes.
- If the hummus is too thick at this point add 2-3 tbsp water (or more if needed) and blend/process until desired consistency is reached.
For the platter:
- Serve the hummus with sliced watermelon (about ½ of a large watermelon) or with your favorite veggies- check out the picture above for an idea of what your platter can look like!
- Store for up to 1 week in the fridge, and enjoy!
Want more snacks? Click here.