There’s nothing better than a freshly popped bowl of popcorn, especially when it comes fresh from the ear and is ready in just a few minutes. Popcorn has long been a favorite snack for nutritionists and dietitians, with just 31 calories and about 2 grams per cup, it’s low in calories and has a small amount of fiber in addition to some calcium, potassium and iron.
This popcorn took just a few minutes and is air-popped in the microwave without using any oil or a stovetop. Because popcorn is versatile and allows for many different flavors you can make it your own and add whatever you like. I added Mediterranean-style herbs, basil and oregano along with olive oil and some salt and pepper once it was done cooking.
To mix it up you could add curry powder and some turmeric for an Indian-inspired flavor or some saffron and paprika or truffle oil. Popcorn makes for a great snack or addition to any meal, so get popping!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 7 minutes
- 1 ear dried corn (for popcorn) or 1/3-1/2 cup dried, organic kernels
- 3 – 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp pepper
- Salt to taste
- Any other herbs or spicesYou’ll need a brown paper bag for this recipe.
- Place ear or kernels in a brown paper bag.
- Shut the bag by folding it over at the top and place the bag into the microwave.
- Pop the popcorn on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes then remove the already popped kernels into a bowl.
- Place the unpopped kernels or ear back into the microwave and continue to cook for another 30 seconds or a minute.
- Add the herbs and spices and the oil, then serve and enjoy!
Like this recipe? Check out this other healthy snack- try these almond butter and banana sandwiches!
This recipe was originally created for Reboot with Joe – click here for the original recipe