I love taco Tuesday, but sometimes the taco gets boring, and I want to shake it up! Last night I decided I’d turn my usual healthy taco Tuesday into a taco skillet and what a good idea it was! I mixed different flavors, textures and veggies/items into my healthy taco skillet, and it was not only easy but so delicious.
I love to use seasonal produce in my tacos (whether they’re made with corn-based hard shells, or lettuce based wraps or even this skillet). I think it’s fun to mix it up versus using the same old stuff all the time. I also love to use seasonal produce because it contains more nutrients and is often fresher than conventional or even organic produce that’s come from far away.
As the base of this taco skillet I used seasonal and fresh produce including shallots, onions, collards, carrots, mushrooms and tomatoes (though these actually aren’t seasonal!)- and as the protein I used organic turkey. I served this dish on a bed of two different varieties. Paul had brown rice and I had mine over cabbage to help fill me up (this girl has a big appetite!). Try this tasty version of your usual taco meal anytime (even if it’s not Tuesday!).
Healthy Taco Skillet
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30-40 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 4 carrots (medium size), peeled and chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, off the stem and sliced thin
- 6-8 collard leaves, spine removed and leaves chopped thin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (I used 1/3 package of Simply Organic Foods Mild Chili Seasoning)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped purple cabbage
- Spicy sauce
- Extra seasoning!
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- After 1-2 minutes, add the coconut oil and allow to melt- about another 2 minutes.
- When the oil has turned into liquid, add the shallot, onion and garlic and continue to cook until slightly browned (3-4 minutes).
- Once the onion/shallot/garlic mixture has browned, add the organic ground turkey.
- Allow the turkey to cook until is cooked through (about 5-6 minutes), then add carrots, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Allow the vegetables to cook for about 5-10 minutes or until they begin to become soft, stirring every few minutes.
- Finally, add the seasoning and the chopped collards, and mix together- allow the skillet to cook until the collards have wilted. Make sure you mix the seasoning into the mixture!
- Once the skillet is cooked, remove from heat and serve over your favorite base- rice, cabbage or something else. Dress with your favorite topping sauce (or other!)
Want more tacos? Catch our other taco recipe here!