I love cozy and warming dishes- especially in cold weather. I find often though I’m discouraged to buy them as they can be loaded with grains and nuts and cheese (three things I really don’t consume). So I decided to make my own version of the traditional fall harvest bowl- one that’s paleo friendly, gluten and dairy free – and so delicious.
This recipe took about 20 minutes in total to make and was a great weeknight, easy-prep item that I would recommend to anyone who wants to make something that’s simple, but also wants to make something that they can have leftovers of for a few days- this recipe fits both needs!
I wanted to include some fall vegetables in this- so I chose both onion and butternut squash as seasonal root veggies, but you can include lots of different vegetables in this as well- like other types of squash, sweet potato, greens, avocado, different types of protein and more (or you can even add some grains too!). What I like about this recipe is that it’s super versatile!
Enjoy this delicious and warming fall harvest bowl recipe.
Fall Harvest Bowl
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Total time: 30-40 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (for the skillet)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4, 4-5 oz chicken breasts
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, chopped and cubed
- 1 head of broccoli, florets only
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 handfuls arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare ingredients.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and add the avocado and the onion- sauté for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Once the onion is browned, add the chicken to the skillet and allow to cook until mostly cooked through (about 5-7 minutes).
- Next, add the tomatoes, butternut squash and broccoli- allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Finally add the arugula to the pan and continue to cook, stirring about every 3-4 minutes until ingredients in the pan are soft then add salt and pepper and any other seasonings you choose.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!