Taco night is one of my favorite nights of the week– especially when taco night is gluten and dairy free as well as low in carbs (and paleo… without the beans)!
Last night I made these delicious, veggie-based tacos and used romaine lettuce leaves as the wraps instead of a taco shell or tortilla shell and stuffed them with beans, tomato, peppers, homemade guacamole and some grass-fed beef. They are delicious!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- Makes: 8 wraps
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
For the meat:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Vidalia sweet onion
- 1 lb, grass-fed minced turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon each: dried basil, oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the “taco shells”:
- 1 head romaine lettuce- 6-8 large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup guacamole (homemade if possible!)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tetra-pak box of no-salt-added black beans (can be replaced for other beans too)
- ¾ cup chopped lettuce
- Red onion
- Sliced avocado
- Organic cheese of your choice
- Herbs and spices
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute or so
- Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add the grass-fed beef, and sauté 7-10 minutes or until cooked, stirring every few minutes
- While the beef is cooking, wash and chop the toppings and lay the romaine lettuce leaves out on serving plates
- When the beef is cooked, add 1-2 Tablespoons to each lettuce wrap, then add toppings per personal preference
- Once all desired toppings have been added, serve and enjoy!