This is a classic dish that has had a major makeover!
Instead of using pasta, I used a Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free noodle- the spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is rich in vitamins A & C, and carotenoids- compounds that are rich in antioxidants.
The sauce for this delicious dish is rich in anti-cancer lycopene from the tomatoes, and other antioxidant-rich nutrients; this dish also contains a small amount vitamin D from the mushrooms (yes! mushrooms contain a small amount of vitamin D).
Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Total time: 45-60 minutes
- Makes: 4-5 servings
For spaghetti squash:
- 1 small/medium spaghetti squash- halvedwith seeds remove
For meat sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb grass-fed beef
- 1 16-20 oz container organic, low-sodium tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 small shiitake mushrooms, de-stalked and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons dried (or fresh) basil
- 2 Tablespoons dried (or fresh) oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For garnish: basil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds, then place face-down on a cookie sheet and place into oven (for faster cook-time, using a pyrex dish with 1/2 inch water in bottom, cook in microwave- about 12 minutes per half).
3. If cooking the squash in the oven, cook for 30-45 minutes or until the shell of the squash is soft; one the shell is soft, remove from oven and scrape out insides using a fork- consistency should be spaghetti-like; set aside.
4. While the squash is cooking, sauté onion with olive oil in a large stock pot for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Once onion browns, add meat to stock pot and cook until browned, stirring every 1 minute– total 3-4 minutes.
6. After 3-4 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients – tomato sauce, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs and spices; bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
7. Once the spgahetti squash is cooked and has been scooped out of its shell, serve bolognese sauce over the spaghetti squash pasta. Garnish with extra pepper and fresh basil if desired.
Enjoy this delicious recipe!