Easy, quick and healthy dinners are totally up my alley, and this recipe for easy chicken peppers definitely fits the criteria for easy, quick, and healthy. You can make this dish for dinner, or have it for leftovers used for lunch or snack as well.
Also, if you’re gluten free or dairy free or follow a paleo diet, this recipe is also a great option for you. To shake it up you can use turkey instead of chicken, and you can also use ground chicken or turkey meat instead of the breast. Finally- if you really want to jazz this one up, add a little bit of your favorite cheese.
Serve this dish with your favorite salad, like this Maple Beet Spinach Salad, and/or with your favorite side veggies.
Easy Chicken Peppers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed (equal to 1 lb)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Dash oregano and basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast or your favorite cheese; 1-2 pre-cooking, 1 for garnish.
- 5 red (or other color) bell peppers, tops removed, seeds removed and cut into 3-4 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onion, saute for 2-3 minutes or slightly browned and soft.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes before adding all of the herbs, spices, salt and pepper- then continue to cook until cooked through (another 5 minutes or so).
- While the chicken is cooking, remove top and seeds from each pepper and cut each into 3-4 sections.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, divide into each pepper boat and garnish with additional cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until peppers are soft.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite side dish.
For more chicken recipes click here!