As you may already know, I’m totally a dessert eater. And no matter how much I try, I just cant quit, so instead of trying to quit, I like to make recipes and desserts that are better for me (in moderation, of course) and that I can feel really good about eating. Like this paleo apple pear crumble.
This recipe was inspired by the many seasonal pears and apples that have been in my fridge and my constant efforts to consume them fast enough to prevent them from going bad. I have been putting them in practically everything I’ve been making- smoothies, oatmeal, dog treats, cookies and more.
So this past Sunday night while I was doing my usual slow dinner process (I love making dinner slowly on the weekends vs at my usual weekday pace)- I decided to find some inspo for what to do with my many pears and apples. And I found it. This recipe is really quite easy to make and it’s SO delicious.
Enjoy this one! I actually may be making it for Thanksgiving, it’s THAT good!
Paleo Apple Pear Crumble
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 pear, chopped
- 10 pitted dates (small ones were used in this recipe)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp Vanilla Almond Butter (plain almond butter works too!)
- ¾ cup of the apple/pear paste
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4-1/3 cup (leftovers) apple/pear paste
- 1 apple, sliced extra thin
- 1 pear, sliced extra thin
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a pyrex dish with parchment paper
- Combine the ingredients for the apple/pear paste in the blender (apple, pear, dates, lemon juice, vanilla almond butter (or regular)- blend until liquefied or until almost liquefied
- In a separate bowl mix together the ¾ cup of the paste with the coconut flour and mix until it’s sticky and clumpy. It may feel a little dry, this is ok!
- Use ½ of the dough from #3 and press it into the bottom of the lined dish- set the other half aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sliced pear and apple with the leftover apple/pear paste and add the pumpkin pie spice and mix it all together so that the sliced fruit is well mixed – be gentle and use your hands.
- Layer the sliced apple and pear mixture from #5 in on top of the dough in the pyrex glass dish, until you’ve used it all.
- Add the rest of the crumble over the top.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then serve and enjoy!
Looking for more healthy(er) dessert recipes?? Click here!