Candida-friendly simple and healthy meal ideas
If you have Candida and are on the Candida diet, it can feel super overwhelming. However, while the Candida diet is limiting, it is not impossible, and there are still a bunch of foods you can eat that are nutritious and will leave you feeling satisfied. This post provides you with simple and healthy meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and dessert to give you some inspiration while on the Candida diet.
What is Candida again and what does this mean for my diet?
Before we get into it, let’s quickly review what Candida is. Candida is a type of fungus naturally found in your body and plays a role in nutrient absorption and digestion. However, Candida levels can get out of balance due to overgrowth resulting in undesirable symptoms and, in some cases, serious illness. Candida overgrowth can present in different parts of the body, including your mouth, GI tract, vagina, skin, and blood (in more severe cases). The cause of Candida overgrowth is widespread, ranging from certain medications to a poor diet.
A quick recap about eating for Candida: Candida is unique because it actually feeds off sugar, so avoiding foods with excess sugars is critical to starve off Candida. The bottom line is to avoid eating added sugars and refined carbohydrates when possible and focus on whole foods such as proteins, fats, and non-starchy veggies.
Want to read more about underlying causes for Candida, symptoms, treatment, foods to eat, and foods to limit? Read all about our comprehensive blog post about Candida here!
Candida Friendly Breakfast Ideas
- Scrambled eggs with spinach and avocado on grain-free toast
- Chia seed pudding with ½ cup berries (if tolerated) and coconut shavings or sunflower seeds
- Grain-free oatmeal (chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp hearts, coconut milk) topped with (berries if tolerated)
- Dairy-free yogurt topped with berries (if tolerated), coconut, cinnamon, and grain-free granola
Candida Friendly Lunch Ideas
- Arugula salad with cucumber, tomato, onions, parsley, and chickpeas dressed in olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper
- Spinach salad with brussels, quinoa, and slivered almonds topped with grilled chicken and tossed in a mustard tarragon dressing
- Fish tacos in a gluten-free taco shell/wrap with red and yellow bell peppers, shredded cabbage, onion, cilantro, and avocado
- Chopped mediterranean salad- peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, herbs, chicken or salmon, avocado, olive oil balsamic
Candida Friendly Snack Ideas
- Hummus and seed-crackers
- Almond Butter and celery
- Hard-boiled eggs with a dash of salt and pepper
- Veggie juice – can be with any of the following: leafy greens, cucumber, celery, ginger, lemon, carrots, or fennel
Candida Friendly Dinner Ideas
- Wild-caught salmon with asparagus and quinoa
- Grass-fed burger or veggies burger (can be any combo of beans and quinoa) in a lettuce wrap topped with avocado and a side of “zucchini fries”
- Zoodles with turkey or chicken meatballs with cherry tomatoes and pesto
- Veggie stir fry with cauliflower rice and shrimp sauteed in coconut aminos, ginger, and garlic
Candida Friendly Dessert Ideas
- Baked apples with cinnamon, topped with grain free granola
- Vegan Avocado Mousse
- Chia seed pudding with berries
- Gluten free, cinnamon cookies made with stevia
- Paleo Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
In general, the key here to not get sick of the foods you are eating is to get creative with the herbs, spices, condiments, and oils.
Some Candida friendly herbs, spices, condiments, and healthy fats and oils:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut Aminos
- Black Pepper
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Sesame Oil
The Bottom Line
The Candida diet is not permanent and should be used short-term to help treat Candida. Throughout this process, make sure to tune into your body and how it is feeling. Even though this diet is restrictive, there are still many healthy and delicious foods and spices to get creative with. If you notice that a food is bothersome for you, even if it is “Candida friendly,” it may be something to explore with a dietitian.