If there’s anything you should know about me, it’s that I LOVE breakfast, and I LOVE oatmeal.
Having so many food allergies breakfast has always been a harder meal for me to tackle, but ever since I found gluten free oatmeal- it’s been my most favorite meal (in every way).
As with most recipes, I love to keep them simple and easy to make- so I like to keep my oatmeal recipe just the same. There’s always a few constants even though the recipe is simple:
- Gluten free oats
- A fruit (or two)- berries, banana, mango
- A fat (or two)- almond butter or peanut butter, coconut shreds
- A spice (or two)- cinnamon and always salt
- Sweet- Honey most of the time
With my oatmeal I usually pair a smoothie or some chicken breakfast sausage or something similar- to add a little protein to the meal.
Enjoy this simple oatmeal recipe, and of course tweak as you need to!
Strawberry and Coconut Oatmeal:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 cup rolled gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Dash of salt and cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp nut butter (used here 1 Tbsp almond and 1 Tbsp peanut butter) – divided
- 3/4 cup sliced strawberries- divided
- 2 Tbsp coconut shreds (unsweetened) – divided
- 1 Tbsp honey – divided
- Prepare the oatmeal on the stovetop according to the instructions on the side of the package (you can also cheat and microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds)- then dish into two bowls for eating.
- Wash and prepare the ingredients for the toppings.
- Add the toppings to the bowls of oatmeal.
- Add your favorite sweetener (nothing artificial!).
- Serve and enjoy!