Who doesn’t love a good muffin?… but they often leave us feeling tired and grumpy (at least for me!).
So I made a solution here that won’t leave you feeling totally wiped- and they don’t taste like cardboard either 😉
The key to this recipe is that I used almond flour instead of wheat flour; so they’re gluten free, and the almond flour is a more energizing source of fuel as it doesn’t spike blood sugar- and burns more slowly. You can also use tiger nut flour instead of the almond flour- they’re pretty good that way too. The grated carrot and mashed banana also help to add moisture and taste!
As sweetener, instead of using cane sugar, I used honey for a little sweetness (but didn’t need much!). I love honey because it contains anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties and it’s concentrated so you don’t need a lot of it.
Make these yummy muffins to have with your favorite breakfast protein (like turkey sausage or eggs) this holiday season (or anytime) – and feel energized all day!
Paleo Banana Carrot Breakfast Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30-40 minutes
Makes: 10-12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 3 eggs- beaten
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- (optional) 1/2-1 cup juice pulp (beet or carrot is best!)
Ingredients to fold in:
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3-4 Tbsp walnut pieces and halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line with paper or silicone liners a muffin pan or grease (with coconut oil) a muffin tray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the wet ingredients until thoroughly mixed and then pour on top of the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Fold in shredded carrot and walnuts to the batter.
- Pour batter into muffin pan and place the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out completely clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving.