Brain healthy foods are so good for your mind and also your body. This smoothie is made up of some of my favorite brain-healthy (but tasty) ingredients like cacao nibs that are a source of flavanols that help to keep blood vessels healthy and may also help to slow age-related memory decline. This smoothie also boasts brain and mood-healthy b vitamins like folate from the green leafy kale and finally anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer nutrients from the turmeric.
If you want this smoothie to be a meal, add plant-based (or clean whey) protein for added balance and nutrients.
You can also add extra ingredients like extra cacao nibs or powder, or even for a little extra sweetness a little more fruit or a date or two.
Brain Healthy Smoothie
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 serving (16-20 oz, 500 mL)
- 5 strawberries, tops removed
- 1/4 banana
- 2 handfuls kale or other green (spinach, chard, mixed greens or arugula)
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs (raw preferable)
- Dash each: turmeric and cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (organic, unrefined)
- 8 oz hemp milk (or other unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond)
- (optional) 1 scoop plant based protein
- Wash and prepare ingredients.
- Add ingredients to blender and blend on high for 45-60 seconds or until well blended.
- Serve and enjoy!