Tips for a bloat free summer
Summer is a time to relax and have FUN – the last thing you need is to worry about being bloated and super uncomfortable. So, today we are talking about everything from summer-friendly bloat-free foods to beach snacks, to mocktails/cocktails, and even spilling some quick tips to relieve bloat.
Bloat-free summer produce
Summer is not only fun because of the downtime and time spent outdoors, but summer produce is bright, colorful, and delicious! In fact, lots of in-season produce during the summer can help combat bloat due to their properties.
In general, when it comes to foods that will help relieve or mitigate bloat, we look for water-rich and low-fiber foods or those with certain components like digestive enzymes or gas-relieving properties. You might be thinking, “low-fiber? I thought fiber was good for you.” While this is true, if you are feeling bloated or are headed to the beach, packing in a bunch of fiber right before may not be the best idea as it can cause some digestive upset and bloating. Instead, focus on spreading out your fiber throughout the day and drink lots of water to promote healthy bowel movements and avoid GI distress.
Bloat-free summer produce
- Watermelon and cantaloupe (water-rich)
- Pineapple (contains bromelain – a group of digestive enzymes that helps breakdown proteins)
- Lettuce and Spinach (water-rich; which can help with hydration from the inside-out)
- Lemon and Lime (may help to promote gastric motility and improve stomach acid)
- Fennel and Rosemary (helps relieve intestinal gas)
Quick tips to help relieve bloating
When you wake up bloated and have a full day of plans ahead, whether it is the beach or a family BBQ, there is not much time to debloat. However, we have some quick tips you can do to help relieve bloat in a pinch.
Quick tips to debloat
- Hydrate (seriously! this is so important and will help your body flush out toxins and excess sodium and get things moving!)
- Engage in light exercise (going for a walk outside or doing yoga can make a huge difference)
- Drink tea (not only are these herbs amazing for combating bloat, but warming foods can do wonders for your digestion!)
- Destress (get outside, meditate, journal – you’d be surprised how effective this can be to mitigate bloating!)
- Eat foods rich in water and low in fiber (think: cucumber, celery, strawberries, watermelon)
Beach and bloat friendly snacks
Packing snacks for the beach can get tricky. It is easy to be torn between grabbing a bag of chips and spending that extra few minutes to cut up some fruit and veggies. Similar to what we stated above, we suggest grabbing water-rich, low-fiber, minimally processed foods. Not sure what this entails? Read below for our recommendations!
Our favorite beach and bloat friendly snacks
- Green juice
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)
- Seaweed and avocado wraps
- Sliced cucumber and celery
- Pineapple and mango
- Avocado, tomato, and cucumber salad
- Dried beet or carrot chips (we love Rhythm foods!)
Want to learn more about why we recommend these foods? We have a whole other blog post on it!
Fun bloat-free summer Mocktails and Cocktail Ideas
Let’s be real, drinking a nice cold drink (mocktail or cocktail) is something to look forward to come summertime. However, fun summery drinks are often laden with tons of added sugars, syrups, and carbonation, leaving you feeling more bloated than you would like.
When it comes to ordering or making drinks (mocktail or cocktail), we suggest minimizing added artificial syrups and sugars and replacing them with natural alternatives.
We suggest basing your mocktail/cocktail on the following ingredients:
- Fruit Raspberries, Blackberries, Peaches, or Cucumber
- Liquid: Seltzer, Coconut water
- Leaves: Mint, Basil, Sage, or Rosemary
- Sweetener (optional): 1 tsp honey, Stevia
Wondering what this looks like? Here are two staple drinks I enjoy:
Raspberry Mint Cocktail –
- Ingredients: 6 oz seltzer, 1 tsp honey, 4 raspberries, 2 sprigs mint, (optional) 1 oz liquor of choice- vodka, rum, gin, etc
- Directions: 1. Muddle the fruit 2. Add the honey 3. Add seltzer 4. Finish with the mint! 5. Sip & enjoy
- Ingredients: 6 oz seltzer or club soda, juice of ½ cup seasonal berry of choice (strawberries and blueberries used in this recipe as they’re currently in season), (optional) 1 oz liquor of choice- vodka, rum, gin, etc
- Directions: 1. Wash and prepare fruit of choice 2. Juice the fruit of choice on medium/high 3. In a glass, combine juice, seltzer, and optional alcohol 4. Serve and enjoy!
Summer bloat-free recipes
We rounded up some of our favorite recipes for summer that are full of nutrient-dense, bloat-free foods for you to enjoy.
- Summer Chicken Lettuce Cups (limit cabbage to ½ cup of omit to reduce bloating)
- Summer Tomato and Squash Soup
- Fresh Summer Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs
- Simple Summer Salsa
You do not have to let bloating rule your summer. Instead, get on top of things and think ahead! Now you are equipped with the tools to combat bloat – you know what foods to look for and avoid and what practices to engage in.
Still suffering from persistent bloating despite your best efforts? There’s likely something else going on. Click here to work with us!