In another recent post we discussed a few reasons that it’s key to juice and eat different colored fruits and vegetables to get the most benefit. This week, let’s starting talking specifically about the many nutrients that each color contains, and their specific benefit to health.
Let’s start with one of my personal favorites, red fruits and vegetables!
Red produce includes:
- Red bell peppers and hot peppers
- Any other red ones forgotten!
A few major nutrients found in red produce include:
- Anthocyanin: Contains antioxidants and powerful anti-inflammatory properties for blood vessels, joints and for the entire body
- Lycopene: Contains antioxidants and anti-cancer properties- mostly found in tomatoes, and particularly when cooked
- Potassium: Heart healthy, key for balanced blood pressure and for hydration too
- Vitamins A & C: Important for health of skin, hair and nails, as well as immune system
- Electrolytes: Potassium, magnesium and sodium found in red produce, and particularly beets that contain both sodium and potassium. Electrolytes are key for hydration and for healthy blood pressure regulation.
Health conditions that may benefit from including red produce in food and juice:
- Heart health
- Joint health
- Skin health
- Eye health
Happy juicing (blending and eating too)!