Valentines Day is the best day of the year because it’s the day that’s devoted entirely to love.
Valentines Day gives us an amazing opportunity to focus on loving ourselves, to give thanks for everything that we’ve done, everything that we are blessed to have, and all that we are able to do. And that’s why it’s my favorite day– because if there’s one thing that’s true, most of us don’t take enough time to honor and love ourselves.
In honor of Valentines Day, the day of love, I’ve put together a list of a few of my favorite self-love promoting activities:
8 ways to practice self love:
- Meditate/ practice yoga: Both meditation and yoga can mean many different things, but giving a few moments to deep breathing (that’s meditation), or simply putting your feet up the wall (that’s yoga!) can go a long way. Both meditation and yoga can help us to tune in, to reflect and to look inside ourselves. Something we all need a little more of!
- Practice forgiveness: I’m not talking about forgiving others here, instead I’m talking about forgiving yourself for the things that you hold onto. This takes time, but progress is what we’re aiming for here, not perfection- so give it a try.
- Get moving: We make a lot of excuses and find a lot of time to do other “more important” activities, but finding some time to take a walk, to do some yoga- to simply move our bodies, can be so beneficial for overall health and happiness. After all, that’s what our bodies were made to do– so get moving!
- Take a nap: Who doesn’t love a good nap? Taking a nap can help promote relaxation and provide rest- something that most of us need desperately.
- Nourish yourself: Although there may be a lot of candy and chocolate floating around on Valentines Day, it’s important to find some time to eat your vegetables; loving your body means feeding it well- after all, you’ve only got one.
- Do something you love: What’s that one thing that makes you tick or something you only do when you have extra time? For me it’s attending a fun and exhilarating exercise class- either Soul Cycle or a Zumba class. Both are fun treats for me and put a big smile on my face (see below- me on my birthday receiving a giant cupcake at a Soul Cycle class).
- Pamper yourself: Take some time and give yourself a mini massage- or try some new essential oils (or better yet go have someone give you a massage or try new oils on you!). The skin is our largest organ, and the one that bears the brunt of daily stressors like cold, wind, heat and sun- so take care of it! Get some essential oils (sweet almond oil mixed with a tiny amount of lavender essential oil is my favorite to mix because it’s calming) and give yourself a mini massage. It can be relaxing, rejuvenating- and will leave your skin feeling happy too.
- Smile: Take a look in the mirror and give yourself a big smile- you deserve it! After all, smiling can also boost mood almost immediately- so for a quick pick me up start grinning at yourself, and of course at others.
Also…remember to take some time to tell others in your life how much you love and value them, they deserve it too!
Happy Valentines Day!