Winter is coming, so let’s boost your immune system!
I get so many questions from clients about what’s my secret immune boosting cocktail- so I want to share it with you, because we all need it at some point during the winter months.
There are varying degrees of my winter cocktail, some of it for everyday maintenance and some of it for crisis management. I’m going to walk you through both versions so that you’re as prepared as you possibly can be!
First things first, let’s talk about nutrients that are key for immune health.
- Vitamin D: It’s a key player in immune health, and one that we often only think of in the light of bone health, but actually it’s key for improving auto-immune diseases (and possibly preventing, too), and also for general immune health.
- Vitamin A: Another key player in immune health. It’s one that’s often overlooked because most of us eat enough beta carotene (thought to be a moderator in production of Vitamin A, and it is, but not entirely).
- Gut bacteria (probiotics): Our gut bacteria is EVERYTHING. This has been a hotly debated topic and recent research is now (I’m happy about this one) suggesting that probiotics ARE in fact helpful and may help us to fight off even a cold-like or flu-like virus.
- Oil of oregano: Due to an active ingredient, called carvacol, oil of oregano may be helpful in fighting off nasty bacteria and viruses.
- Zinc: Zinc is heavily involved in immune health – and adequate zinc is key for fighting infections and keeping the immune system healthy.
- Vitamin C: No, by itself it’s not the be-all-end-all (much to some surprise), it’s actually better in concert with other nutrients. Vitamin C is a key antioxidants and may help with repairing and preventing inflammation, but alone it’s not adequate!
- Selenium: This one is key too- for proper response of the immune system and acts as part of a key anti-oxidant pathway too in the body.
OK so… with all this information, here’s what I’m taking daily in the winter!
Here’s my immune boosting cocktail
- Vitamin D (I usually take 2500 IU daily)
- Vitamin C (buffered, about 2.5g daily)
- Oil of oregano (2 drops in 8 oz water, once daily)
- Zinc (about 15 mg)
- Probiotic (1 daily)
- Vitamin A (10,000 IU once weekly)
In times of crisis:
- Doubled vitamin D3 (about 5000)
- Vitamin C (buffered, 2.5g 2x daily)
- Oil of oregano (2 drops in 8 oz water, 3 times daily)
- Zinc (30-45 mg)
- Probiotic (2-3 daily)
- Vitamin A (10,000 IU daily while feeling sick)
This is MY routine and often my clients try it too- but as always, if you have questions please reach out to be a private client or ask your doc! Get in touch here!
Of course, FOOD always comes first, but supplements DO help!