Who doesn’t love spaghetti and meatballs! Spaghetti and meatballs is a classic comfort-food dish that’s usually loaded with tons of calories, carbs and fat; however, this healthier spin on spaghetti and meatballs- made with spaghetti squash and grassfed beef is lighter and leaner while being so delicious! Keep on reading for the recipe and tips!
I used my Vitamix for this recipe – so that the meatballs were well mixed with the veggies (yep, there are veggies in the meatballs!). Using a processor helped me avoid using fillers like cheese and bread crumbs.
Try making this dish for an easy weeknight meal or for a more decadent weekend affair. The great news too is that this dish is easily able to make you a few extra portions (which means easy grab and go meals like lunch and dinner).
Enjoy this delicious “spaghetti” and meatballs dish!
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeds carved out
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground grass-fed beef or turkey
- Dash each: Salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, parsley (and any that you like)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1, 16 oz low-sodium jar of organic tomato sauce (to make it easy)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper place both halves of the spaghetti squash face down and bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft (or microwave for total 12 minutes face down on a glass dish–> MUCH easier option!).
- In the vitamix or food processor, blend together on low speed the vegetables, meat, and herbs and spices- until well mixed.
- Form meatballs with your hands or with a spoon and set aside (should make 4-8 depending on the size).
- Heat a medium skillet over a medium flame and add the avocado oil to the skillet and allow to heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the skillet and cook on medium heat (flipping once or twice about every 3-5 minutes, for a total of 10-12 minutes), set aside on a plate once they’re cooked.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven or microwave and with a fork – run through the center of the squash and the squash will be like spaghetti.
- In a mini sauce pan, heat the tomato sauce (if you like it hot) over medium heat so that when you serve it’s warm!
- Plate the spaghetti squash with the sauce and meatballs, and sprinkle with your favorite cheese if you’re not dairy free.
- Serve and enjoy!