As a child if you asked me what my favorite holiday food was, my answer certainly would have been cranberry sauce- and it’s still one of my favorites. But yikes! It’s LOADED with sugar! I don’t think I ever realized how much sugar was in cranberry sauce (or maybe I ignored it). So this year I was determined to make a recipe with as little added sugar as possible- and only from a super natural and healthy source. So when Parker’s Real Maple generously sent me SO much new product, I decided to make this natural cranberry sauce sweetened with a touch of maple syrup only!
I love this cranberry sauce because it’s really not so sweet, and instead it’s pretty tart (but don’t worry you sweet lovers, it’s still really tasty). I used maple syrup because it is a source of healthy minerals like magnesium, iron and a little calcium. Maple syrup is also a source of 54 antioxidants- and actually many athletes are using it for fuel instead of other goops and less-natural products; which is pretty cool too!
Try my cranberry sauce- it’s SO easy and so delish.
Natural Cranberry Sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes (or less)
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 servings (1 Tbsp per serving)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup (I used Parker’s Real Maple).. if you need extra sweet add 1-2 extra Tbsp!
- 1, 12 oz bag fresh cranberries
- Combine the water and maple syrup in a sauce pan and heat over medium/high heat.
- Stir the water and maple syrup together over the medium/high heat until the water boils (about 30 seconds-1 minute).
- Once the water has boiled, turn down the heat and add the cranberries.
- Once the cranberries have been added to the water, keep the heat at a medium/low and continue to stir occasionally until the cranberries pop open and are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Continue to simmer the cranberries until the mixture thickens (about another 5-10 minutes) (as a note, the cranberries are in the pot over heat for about 25 minutes).
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge and use as desired!