Did you know, our bodies are about 55-70% water (varies from person to person)- that’s a lot of water! Water plays a key role in so many processes in our bodies- so staying hydrated is super important to our overall health- especially in the summer heat. Being busy in our everyday lives, from work, school, whatever it is, sometimes it’s hard to stay fully hydrated. Drinking the right amount of water each day has numerous benefits as mentioned before, including aiding in digestion, removing waste more easily, and more.
To help you stay hydrated, here’s 5 ways to stay more hydrated throughout your day:
1. Carry a reusable water bottle, always: First and foremost- keep a water bottle on you at all times that you can easily refill. Having your own water supply on you can help you to drink water throughout the day (and can also help you steer clear of things like soda and other sugary drinks); and can also help you save money- as you can skip purchasing plastic water bottles. Carry a reusable water bottle made of stainless steel or glass into your purse, gym bag, desk drawer, or car, and be sure to refill it regularly; also, the bigger the bottle the easier it is to drink more, so try to buy a slightly larger bottle to carry on hand.
2. Eat hydrating foods: Foods, yes foods can actually help you to stay more hydrated. Foods with naturally high water volume- like cucumbers, watermelon, celery, peppers- all have a decent amount of water in them (read more about hydrating foods here!), which can help you to meet your total water goal. Adding items like smoothies, soups and juices can also help you to meet your goals as well. Count items like smoothies for half their total water volume (a 16 oz smoothie would help you get an extra 8 oz of water in!). It’s a lot about the water you drink, but other sources like these foods and fluids can also help you reach your goals.
3. Have one full glass each morning and each evening: Make it a habit to try and have a full glass of water first thing in the morning, and another later on in the day- this can help you get 2 full glasses in. By starting this positive habit you can already count in two extra glasses daily. Aim for each one of these glasses to be 8-12 oz each.
4. Prepare Flavored Water in Advance: Prepare pitchers or bottles of flavored water, such as lemon, lime or grapefruit slices, or diced up ginger and mint. Adding these flavors can add a subtle flavor, perking up your plain water to increase your daily intake. If prepared the day before, you’ll have more time to grab it and go on about your day, and the flavors will sit in the water all night, leaving your body feeling cleansed and hydrated.
5. Use an app to track your cups, or reminders to drink more: Another great way to track how much water you’re drinking is to use an app to help you stay on top of it. Love these great, free apps such as Daily Water Free or Carbodroid – download them to your phone to set daily reminders and alarms—this will leave your body feeling hydrated each day!
About the author!
Pauline Fitzgerald is a Contributing Writer and Intern here at ISN and we’re so excited to have her working with us! Pauline is a Journalism Major at the University of Alabama and has a great passion for nutrition and wellness. Growing up in an Italian household, Pauline was exposed all types of food, and a healthy balanced lifestyle. Pauline loves to cook, try new recipes and learn about the benefits that each fruit and vegetable holds for the body; she also loves to try new exercise routines, and loves to share her passion!